Friday, February 24, 2012

Large SQL update - effect on SQL 2005 transactional replication

I'm a newbie to Replication and recently setup the following.

Publisher and Distributor on the same SQL2005 server, then I've got 7 subscribers(SQL2000 servers) and I'm using push subscriptions. I'm replicating 5 SQl tables which don't have too many changes and these are scheduled to run every 3 hours. In a few days a large one off SQL update with add an additional 10,000 rows to one of the replicated tables. I was wondering what impact this would have on the above setup i.e are there any sort of limitations here. I'm assuming not but thought I would check. I'm thinking it will just cause additional overhead on the server, but the update is being applied when no users will be using the database.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems, just understand that if you do this in one large transaction, logreader agent won't pick up changes until the transaction has been completed/committed, and the distribution agent will not pick up the changes until after the logreader agent has completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment